How to Wash and Care for Embellished Outfits
Christmas, birthdays, and holiday parties have one thing in common – the need for bling. Festive wear outfits are all about the razzle and dazzle, but how do you take care of all those sequences, beads, and embroidered pieces once the holiday season is over?
Embellished outfits require special care and maintenance. You may wish to store these garments for the better part of the year, so you must keep them carefully. Embellished outfits may have decorative buttons, embroidery sequences, pearls and beads, patches, studs, and more. Without proper care, embellishments may fall off or get damaged.
How to wash embellished outfits
- Read the washing instructions and care label. Most garments come with washing instructions and a care label that tells you exactly how to wash them. You can avoid shrinkage and fading by following the brand’s instructions on proper care.
- Handwash your embellished outfits. If the instructions are unclear or unavailable, hand wash your embellished garments. Hand washing is the safest way to reduce the chance of damage and shrinkage. In a large bucket, add lukewarm water and mild detergent. Soak your embellished garments for 5-10 minutes. Gently move the garment around in soapy water. Drain and refill with clean water. Repeat the rinse until the water runs clear.
- Spot-treat stains. A general rule for embellished garments is that you want to avoid washing them often. Spot-treat stains immediately and use a garment freshener spray in between wears.
- Turn embellished garments inside out. For garments with sequences and heavy embroidery – zip them up and turn them inside out before washing. This will protect the sequence from water and detergent.
- Lay flat to dry. Embellishments add extra weight to the fabric. Lay the garment on a flat surface to air dry. Avoid direct sunlight.
- Use a steamer. Use a steamer to get rid of wrinkles, as the hot iron can melt plastic embellishments like sequences.
How to Machine wash embellished garments
It is best to handwash your embellished outfits, but if you must use the washer, follow these simple tips.
- Cold and gentle washing cycle. Heat can damage the embellishments and also cause shrinkage. Use a cold and gentle cycle for your embellished garments. Do not overload the machine.
- Use a mesh washing bag. Turn your embellished garments inside out and put them in a mesh bag. The mesh bag will protect the delicate sequences as they tumble inside the washing machine.
- Skip the fabric softener and bleach. They will cause fading and damage to the sheen and sparkle of your embellishments.
How to store embellished garments
Festive wear outfits often find themselves dumped and forgotten once the holiday season is over. But these outfits are expensive, so why not preserve them for longer? With a few simple tips, you can store and enjoy your favorite party dress for many more holidays or even pass them on to your loved ones.
- Clean before long storage. Make sure your embellished garment is washed and cleaned before you store it away for the rest of the year or until you fancy them again. Concentrate on cuffs, necklines, and underarms- these areas tend to get the most stained and dirty.
- Invest in garment bags. Good quality garment bags are easily available online and are designed to fit in your closet. Embellished garments will be heavier than your normal clothes. Hanging can cause stretching and damage the outfit. Garment bags also protect clothes from dirt, dust, sunlight, moisture, and insects.
- Acid-free tissue paper. Acid-free tissue paper is your best friend when storing expensive garments. Use them to line your garment bags and to separate the layers when folding. Use a few tissues between every fold.
- Discard plastic dry-cleaning bags. Plastic traps moisture, which causes yellowing in fabric and can also damage the fibers.
- Natural insect repellents. You may attract moths and other pests when you store clothes for a long time. Lavender and cedar work as natural insect repellents and eliminate musky odor.
Just a little extra TLC
92 million tonnes of clothing gets dumped in landfills every year! That is truly a waste and harmful to our environment. Learning to take care of your clothes can help you keep them longer. A few laundering tips and tricks can actually save you tons of money. Embellished clothing may require a little extra love and care, but these garments are also created with much extra effort.
Here is a quick takeaway for you!
- It is always better to handwash your embellished garments.
- Avoid harsh chemicals, detergents, and bleach.
- Spot-treat stains instead of washing embellished garments after every-wear
- Store embellished outfits in garment bags in dark, airy spaces.
- Use a steamer to remove any wrinkles.
Beauty, Nails59 Nude Nails to Enhance Your Natural Beauty
Clothing, Fashion50 Baby Shower Outfits to Celebrate Your Bumps!
Fashion, ShoesHo to Style Thigh High Boots
Clothing, FashionWhat to Wear at a Birthday Party
Clothing, Fashion30 Beautiful Monochrome Outfit Ideas For Ladies!
Clothing, Fashion40 Modest & Graceful Funeral Outfits For Women
Beauty, Guides, NailsHow to Do Ombre Nails at Home: 9 Easy Steps!
Clothing, Fashion13 Ways To Style Denim Maxi Skirt
Clothing, Fashion60 Black and White Outfits For Effortless Glamour!
Accessories, FashionA Guide to Styling Women's Belts!
Clothing, FashionUnlocking the Secrets of Street Style Fashion
Beauty, Nails50 Stunning Party Nails to Elevate Your Style
Beauty, Nails65 3D Nail Designs To Elevate Your Nail Game!
Beauty, Nails60 Acrylic Nails to Elevate Your Fashion Style!
Clothing, FashionLearn How to Match the Colors of Your Outfits by Using the Color Wheel