How to Get Mold Out of Clothes
The average American family spends over $1200 annually on clothes. Clothes are an essential part of our everyday life which is why it makes sense to learn how to maintain your garments so that they can last for years. In this blog, we will go through the process of removing mold from clothes at home for cheap.
Mold spores will appear in moist and dark places, such as a laundry basket full of sweaty clothes. Mold looks ugly and is a risk to your health. Microscopic mold spores appear on your garments, causing skin irritation and breathing difficulties. You may also experience sneezing, headaches, and fatigue.
Why does mold grow on clothes?
Mold is a fungal growth that requires water, air, and a humid temperature. Natural fibers like wool and cotton are the most vulnerable to mold. You can take a few steps to keep your garments safe and clean. Here are a few:
- Always store your garments in a dry and cool place.
- Wash and dry your clothes well- do not leave your clothes in the wet for too long.
- Regularly clean out your wardrobe.
- You can use white vinegar to clean the surfaces of your wardrobe. Let it dry before you store your clothes.
- Do away with plastic bags as they can trap moisture which becomes a breeding ground for mold.
How to remove mold from your garments?
Sometimes you can be on top of your household chores and yet find that one pesky garment hidden away in a dark closet growing mold. Woolen garments are mold’s favorite target because we remove them during winter and store them away for the rest of the year.
If your favorite sweater is moldy, follow the steps bellow to solve the problem.
Before you start, here is a list of things you may require to remove mold from clothing:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Scrub brush
- Laundry detergent
- Washing machine
- Start your prep. Once you have discovered mold on your garments, check your entire wardrobe to ensure you find all the clothes that need cleaning. If the clothes feel damp, dry them in the open sun or a well-ventilated room. Always wear gloves when dealing with mold.
- Soak in vinegar. The next step is to soak the infected garments in vinegar or borax. Let it soak for an hour at least.
- Scrub the mold away. With a sturdy scrubbing brush, remove the mold from your clothes. Use gentle pressure. You want to remove the mold but not damage the fabric.
- Use the washing Machine. Use a hot water washing cycle along with a good detergent. Add a cup of vinegar or borax to your laundry machine. You can also add ½ tablespoon of baking soda to remove any odor from your garments.
- Dry your clothes. The best way to dry out your garments is outside in direct sunlight. Mold hates UV rays. If you do not have an open space, use the dryer setting on your washing machine as per instructions. Dry your clothes in a well-ventilated area.
- Check for mold. Sometimes mold can be very stubborn and won’t leave you alone even after the first round of cleaning. If you detect an earthy smell on your garments, you must repeat the washing cycle – Presoak for longer in your second round.
In a nutshell
Prevention is the best cure when it comes to mold. Store your precious garments in a cool and dry place with enough space in between. The air allows for proper ventilation. Once you discover mold on your clothes- take action immediately. You do not want the mold to grow and spread in your home. Sometimes you may not be able to detect mold visually, but you can smell it. Check for damp and earthy smells, especially in your woolen garments.
Beauty, Nails59 Nude Nails to Enhance Your Natural Beauty
Clothing, Fashion50 Baby Shower Outfits to Celebrate Your Bumps!
Fashion, ShoesHo to Style Thigh High Boots
Clothing, FashionWhat to Wear at a Birthday Party
Clothing, Fashion30 Beautiful Monochrome Outfit Ideas For Ladies!
Clothing, Fashion40 Modest & Graceful Funeral Outfits For Women
Beauty, Guides, NailsHow to Do Ombre Nails at Home: 9 Easy Steps!
Clothing, Fashion13 Ways To Style Denim Maxi Skirt
Clothing, Fashion60 Black and White Outfits For Effortless Glamour!
Accessories, FashionA Guide to Styling Women's Belts!
Clothing, FashionUnlocking the Secrets of Street Style Fashion
Beauty, Nails50 Stunning Party Nails to Elevate Your Style
Beauty, Nails65 3D Nail Designs To Elevate Your Nail Game!
Beauty, Nails60 Acrylic Nails to Elevate Your Fashion Style!
Clothing, FashionLearn How to Match the Colors of Your Outfits by Using the Color Wheel